Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Your Own...Personal...Jesus

I closed my eyes and it felt like I was back in Chicago at my house, early 90's listening to my sister who is ten years older than me singing to Personal Jesus. Nearly 20 years later- I find myself screaming the lyrics to Personal Jesus in a packed house. Not every band has this power.

Depeche Mode ROCKED OUT MSG last night. Took some friends: Setarah-Shrujal-B and I, maxin and relaxin to a suite all to ourselves reflecting on Depeche Mode as their opener: Peter Bjorn and John played. (Peter Bjorn and John= PBJ!!!) MSG may have been a bit massive for Peter Bjorn and John and lets be honest- people that were at this sold out show were there to enjoy the silence.

David Gahan strutted on stage as the set/lights/production took the crowd over. The last time they were at MSG was in 2005, so this was a special return for them. Gahan's swift moves combined with Martin Gore's sparkley bedazzled suit got everybody on their feet.

Gahan spun with his mic time after time to some of DM's newest stuff...however, the crowd and the band both knew why everybody was there last night. They played it all-- Its No Good, Strange Love, Personal Jesus-- you name it- we danced/screamed/cheered/clapped to it.

The filters/graphics/visuals/lights going on behind the band stayed true to DM's mysterious, slightly dark, erotica feel. It was a beautiful show. One moment in particular, the visual was a type writer writing out Daniel Ladinsky's "I have learned so much:"

I
Have
Learned
So much from God
That I can no longer
Call
Myself

A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim
A Buddhist, a Jew.

The Truth has shared so much of itself
With me

That I can no longer call myself
A man, a woman, an angel
Or even pure
Soul.

Love has
Befriended Hafiz so completely
It has turned to ash
And freed
Me

Of every concept and image
My mind has ever known.

******chilling*************

Martin Gore sang a few chilling ballads solo on the mic. His voice filled MSG and kept people on their feet bopping and dancing.

Thank you Depeche Mode to staying true. Sure, the electronica/keyboard/new wave feel brought me back a bit, but its powerful to see DM sound as fresh as they did in the 90's.

I definitely had a I love NYC moment last night sitting in a box- with some of my best friends listening to music where we could all sing the lyrics to. Hands down best MSG show I have attended yet.

-p (takin a ride with my best friend)

No comments:

Post a Comment